Saturday, September 4, 2010

I am a rock, I am a 3 Mile Island.

Photobucket
my nickname around the house, thanks to my brother-in-law


So, I had this plan that I was going to be keeping a live journal of sorts for the Radioactive Iodine. Then I realized just how boring it was. In a nutshell, here's how my last 4 days have been.


"I Wake up"
I say that in quotes because even though my eyes are open, it take a couple of hours for me to actually wake up. Literally.

Eat a piece of candy I have to keep my salivary glands stimulated so as not to damage them with the radiation. Your salivary glands use iodine also.
Eat a piece of candy
Eat a piece of candy

I eat food Nothing much more to say about that.

Eat a piece of candy
Eat a piece of candy

I watch tv/movie or play video games. I would read a book, but that would involve physical movement. Im still so hypo I dont even want to turn pages. Nor do I want to be mentally taxed by reading a book. Daytime tv is mindless enough.

Eat a piece of candy
Eat a piece of candy
Eat a piece of candy

Eat a piece of candy
Eat a piece of candy
Eat a piece of candy
Eat a piece of candy

I eat food again.

brush my teeth.

consider throwing up from all the candy

I try to convince myself that im sleepy enough to actually sleep. Since im so tired from being so hypo its quite hard for me to actually fall asleep. That and the fact that I have enough sugar coursing through me to kill a diabetic with just my breath. For instance, its 2am now and I want to sleep...but its not happening right now.


So, if you are seven years old thats an awesome schedule. I however, am not seven years old. (My wife says I act like im 15) There is also lots of water and lots of time spent in the bathroom, but you dont need to hear about that. The good part is that I have had very few side effects and the ones I have had have been minimal. I didnt have much throat pain or any other localized pains really. They tell you that you could have throat pain because the radiation is killing off your thyroid but since mine was removed completely, all I have now is an empty space that I use as storage for chewy beef snacks. I was hoping to have some pains around my collar bone areas since my doc said I might still have some infected lymphnodes in that area but I dont think it hurt there. I had a bit of a head ache on day one, but not much more than that. The hardest part about all of this has been trying to avoid my wife. Literally. I have to stay atleast 6 feet away from her until about day 5. There is good news however....

Today was is my last day on the LID diet and come kick off (im a rabid LSU football fan) i will drowning myself in a bowl of piping hot queso and chips. I also get to go back on my hormone tomorrow which is arguably the more exciting part. im not sure what my TSH number (in a nutshell its a gauge for how hypothyridic one is) is anymore, the lady at the radiology place said she had never seen a number so high in her 15 years. (it was high enough that the scale either broke or the scale stopped counting. im not sure which.) Im so ready to have energy again.

Thats about it. I just wanted to write something short for a change to let everyone know whats been up. I sound like a broken record when i say this, but thank you. To all of my friends and family and anyone else who has said an encouraging word to me, it means the world to me to think that your thinking of me. It really is overwhelming to me.



Until next time, just let your SOOOUULLLLL GLOOOWWWW yall.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I'v been wondering how it was all going. I agree with Roman, I love your writing style, and hope you continue when this is all behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So on a scale of one to I-never-want-to-see-them-again, how sick are you of Lemonheads at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well the lemonheads werent so bad, but im convinced the sour skittles were part of an assassination plot on my tongue.

    ReplyDelete