Thursday, July 30, 2009

The hardest part about falling off the wagon is trying to catch back up to the damn thing.

You know, you wouldn't think that its hard to catch a wagon, but if you let it go for a month or more....all you see is dust. Actually, the dust has already cleared, all i see these days are a muddy, rutted trail that i can only imagine goes in the general direction of the fat wagon.



OK, i don't know where this is going, but my point is that it has been a long time and i need to go ahead and get back on track with my diet.



It's been a weird couple of months for me. Assorted health problems, vacations, holidays, and other general annoyances have all contributed to help me get off the aforementioned wagon. I need to find my conviction again.



In October, i attended (semi-reluctantly) Becky's 10yr high school reunion. I know that she wanted me to be there, not just to be with her as she reconnected with old friends, but to also appreciate all the hard work she put into organizing the event. At a conscious level i understand all of that, selfishly though, it was still hard for me to suck it up and attend knowing that i would probably be one of the targets of hushed comments and subtle elbow nudges, as I'm one of the ones who got really fat after high school. In fact, i said hi to a girl i knew pretty well back in the day, and all i got was a blank stare as she pushed passed me to get to the bathroom. In her defense she was pregnant and she has always been a little flaky, but still it kind of sucked. My self consciousness peaked later in the night as i was the only schmuck to throw up at the event. Luckily for me no one really saw me modify the handicap ramp except for my brother in law and a few assorted people on the back porch. That kind of topped the night for me, but as it turned out, i had the flu so it doesn't bother me as much as it might have.

After the flu, i was lucky enough to be stuck with not one, but two kidney stones. Three weeks of narcotic pain killers, and two surgeries later, I'm all clear, but i didn't feel like staying 0n a diet to say the least.

Then the family and i went on a cruise, and good luck sticking to a diet on one of those things. You have people breaking their necks to serve you over priced liquor, and there is food available pretty much everywhere so needless to say, any diet thoughts went overboard.

So here we are at the dawn of a new year and I'm still fat. And older. I'm 30 now and people have told me that once you hit 30, everything changes. Your body starts to slow down, and weight loss becomes much more of a chore. I really need to bear down and get on with it. So, my goal by this time next year is to have lost 50lbs. For those of you who have forgotten, my overall goal is to lose 100lbs from my initial scale reading way back in the spring of '09. So, if you add in the 25 that i lost initially, that will put me at 75% of my goal. Hold me to it people.

I have renewed my gym membership and I'm planning on going back in tomorrow. I'm kind of dreading it, but I'm kind of looking forward to it at the same time. I'm not looking forward to the constant soreness but i sure do enjoy the results when the lbs start to come off.

So there it is. There's my reason for being lax, and not holding up my end of the bargain. Ill be sure to keep you posted. If my time at the gym is anything like the last times i went, i should have some fun stuff to talk about with that as well.

Thanks again for all of your support

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Nick. I'm right there with you. I have 25 lbs to lose by next year. I had a Doctor's appointment last week and he said the dreaded ..."You know when every year after 30 makes it tougher and tougher to shed the pounds..." Sheepishly I said...I know...

    I'm a Good Eats (Alton Brown - Food Network) fan - he recently did a show called "Live and Let Diet" - check it out if you get a chance. He gave some good tips - he also lost 50 lbs by sticking to a few simple lists of things to eat and not eat.

    Between that and Weight Watchers and committing to walk or run 20 minutes a day is my new pledge. I definitely need help staying motivated :) I need to drop the weight so we can all go skiing and not DIE too!

    Something to look forward to on Spring Break 2011.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Nick! I am back in the gym too. My trainer beat me up this am and actually got me to do lunges, which i don't think i have done since the 80's! Getting ready for Mardi Gras!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete